Monday, October 11, 2010

Help!

This past May, my guild held an auction. Members had donated stuff to be auctioned off to benefit the guild and we sold tickets for $.25 and also $1.00 for bigger items. You could "shop"the tables and put a ticket in the sack for the items you hoped to "win". I spent $20 for tickets and had fun shopping. Here's what I won... This was actually in a crate. Not organized, just a bunch of scraps, stuffed in this crate. Some pretty good sized, but none very pretty. I've been looking at these piles since May and now I'm really starting to wonder...what am I gonna DO with all this fabric? I thought about just donating it back to the guild, but the charity quilts committee already seemed overwhelmed with fabric donations. I have been in the habit of only purchasing fabric when I actually have a project in mind. I had no project in mind when I put my quarter in the sack for this treasure...that's right, it was on the $.25 table. I guess I didn't really expect to win it. So I've decided I need help with this pile o' fabric. Maybe a scrappy pattern that would cut pieces small enough to camouflage the not-so-pretty fabrics? Any of my quilty friends have any ideas?

8 comments:

  1. Not sure what you could make, but, if you need more scraps, let me know. I have a ton of them and I'm in the same boat as you, no ideas, but, lots of fabric. Good luck.
    p.s. love the lap quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Have you made any of those bowls that you wrap clothes line with fabric. It doesn't matter how ugly the fabric is because the strips are 1/2 inch. Those also make great coasters.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Take a look at Quiltville.com Bonnie has great patterns for scrap quilts. Her patterns are free and it could be hard to decide which one to start.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Go back in time on Stash Manicure and find the MIAGIA entry. (Make It And Give It Away)

    I've made one quilt that way already and will do more. It just eats up your fabric, and you know, it all looks good together in the end.

    ReplyDelete
  5. i ALSO WAS GOING TO SUGGEST BONNIE HUNTER AT QUILTVILLE.COM. SHE AHS GREAT SCRAP QUILTS AND A WAY OF SORTING YOUR FABRIC SCRAPS. HER QUILTS ARE BEAUTIFUL.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think there are a lot of scrap quilt projects that you could make: postage stamp quilt, tumbler, hexagon, etc. i would love to have scraps to make some of these projects that take a lot of fabric. How about using them on the backs of your quilts?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Third time lucky, here.....My vote is for Quiltville. The other thing that is good for scraps is applique. Raw edge is easy and a lot of fun.

    Sue :):)

    ReplyDelete
  8. It is refreshing to see a "new" face on Stash Manicure - and you did a good job. I am a true scrap quilter (only made 1 quilt I specifically bought fabric for). Quiltville is great for someone with a lot of scraps, but in your case I would recommend http://www.modabakeshop.com/ http://www.unitednotions.com/un_main.nsf/free_patterns and http://www.scrapquilts.com/
    I have a lot of fabric given to me - I use for charity quilts, but also gift it out to the Senior Centers and Youth Centers, or to those who are forwarded to me in need of help. If I can assist you with more scraps - let me know.

    ReplyDelete