Thursday, May 13, 2010

Some finished quilts...

Since my last post was so wordy, this one will be full of pictures.
disclaimer again:
I'm not a photographer!
My 1st baby quilt. Sandy had mentioned the stack-n-whack method of quilting in one of our classes and I was fascinated. Researched and found lots of pics and tutorials online. I don't think it turned out all that cute, but the colors were pretty. And my friend was happy to receive my "1st". I did learn a lot though...mostly, that I need A LOT more practice on my applique.Baby blankie measures about 18" square. Kylie's graduation quilt was the 1st quilt that I did from start to finish. It's made using a lot of her favorite t-shirts. I quilted each block individually and attached them using this tutorial.
She loves it so much, she took it to college with her AND has talked about giving it to her child someday...the thought that something I made will be passed from generation to generation is the best compliment. After finishing Kylie's t-shirt quilt, I couldn't wait to make one for myself. Something much simpler that I wouldn't be afraid to have a picnic on or just snuggle with on the couch for a movie. I used the same quilt-as-you-go method as Kylie's quilt, but used jeans for the sashing. It seemed like a good idea at the time to also use jeans for the binding...BAD IDEA. It was a disaster. Of course, it's just perfect for snuggling on the couch with, but I couldn't get the corners through my machine. Had to hand tack them down. It doesn't look very nice, but oh well. Live and learn. Plus, it only took about 2 weeks to complete AND I got lots of good practice on my free-motion quilting. This is one of my favorites so far. Using the book Rings That Bind I made this anniversary quilt for my in-laws 50th anniversary in September 2009. Using Bubble Jet Set and my computer printer, I printed the pics directly onto white Kona cotton.
I do make things besides quilts, more later...
Have a blessed day!
Darlene

3 comments:

  1. Those rings are incredible!!! I'm so impressed.

    Great finishes there. That graduation quilt is wonderful, and what great baby quilts!

    Nice work. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you! And thanks for being my 1st comment :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Now, I must say you have been one busy lady. Your quilts are amazing, I love them. Looks like you have the Flynn down pat, great quilting. My frame is getting lonely, haven't been able to use it, but, I do have 6 quilts ready to start quilting just as soon as the Doc's give me the OK.

    ReplyDelete